Friday 12 October 2007

Is this what you call forked?

I dug up the first parsnip today and got a bit of a shock!! Is it a alien or perhaps the ground was a bit too rich

Photobucket

Also identified the grubs that I found when planting spring greens they were cabbage root fly and the grubs were eating the roots!! it seems that is why you have to put a "collar" around the base of brassicas the fly lays eggs around the plant which then go underground and start munching the roots.Dug two ailing plants up and found a couple on one of them, I then soaked the whole lot with derris. had a good look at the spares back home and they seem to be clean so hopefully I have caught it in time
Back home in the greenhouse the peppers are looking brilliant, don,t know why I grew them the mild ones are OK but I can,t stand the hot ones. I think I just like the look of them well I did say I was a confused grannie didn,t I?

Photobucket

1 comment:

Melanie Rimmer said...

Goodness, you'll have trouble peeling that one.

I've added you to my blogroll at www.bean-sprouts.blogspot.com. I notice you don't have a blogroll yet, but if you add one I'd appreciate it if you'd put Bean Sprouts on it. Of course, you don't have to - it's your blog and you can do what you like.

I've also subscribed to your RSS feed so I'll be coming back and reading how you get on with your allotment, and with your new blog.